Returning Students

Returning to IU Bloomington

Complete the Returning Student Application if you meet the following conditions:

  • If you last attended IU Bloomington as either a Students in Transition (SIT) student or a University Division (UD) student
  • And if you are not under academic dismissal from SIT or UD

For example, complete the Returning Student Application if you meet the above conditions, and have not been enrolled because you took time off for personal, medical, or financial reasons, or you wish to return after taking classes for a semester or more elsewhere.

If you are under academic dismissal from Students in Transition, and hope to return to IU Bloomington, you may petition for reinstatement. Access the petition and learn more about the process on the SIT Reinstatement page.

Please allow 7-10 days for our records office to process the Returning Student Application (processing often takes less time).

  • If you had certified to your degree/major program (Kelley Business, Public Health, Arts+Sciences, etc.) you will need to contact them and let them know you wish to return.
  • If you have already received an undergraduate degree, depending on what you are pursuing, you may apply to the University Graduate School to be admitted as a graduate student, or possibly pursue a second bachelor's degree. If you would like to take undergraduate classes as a nondegree seeking student, please review the information on the nondegree page and application.
  • The Returning Student Application can only be filed within a year of the term for which you wish to return, and preferably only one term ahead of time. If you intend to return to IUB in more than a year, please wait to file the application until closer to the time you wish to return.
  • If you were admitted to IU Bloomington but never attended, or withdrew from classes before the end of the first week of classes (meaning no enrollment shows on your IUB transcript), you cannot be considered a returning student and must submit a new application for admission to IU Bloomington. Please check with the Office of Admissions on how to proceed.

Please contact the OVPUE Records Office by phone (812) 855-7797 or email with questions about either process.

We recommend that returning students meet with an advisor for academic planning. If you have been out of IUB for five or more years, complete the Students in Transition referral form and an SIT advisor will contact you shortly. If you have been out for a shorter period, contact University Division ( or 812-855-6768). If you are not sure, feel free to complete the SIT form and we will get in touch.